Thursday, August 8, 2013

10 days till we leave


So this is the first blog post for our Italian adventure and a learning opportunity for me.

10 days till we leave... and items on the to do list are getting checked off...

Yesterday was a big one - my application for a work visa was accepted!  This process began back in April with getting my doctoral degree and transcript notarized and apostatized in Illinois.  Next came my contract in Connecticut.  Then everything went over to Florence to be translated and submitted for a formal invitation to work in Italy. In the meantime I had to compile information re: my health insurance, bank account and itinerary.  The Boston Italian consulate got the invitation on Monday.  I had a standby appointment for noon yesterday -- at 12:35 I walked out of there with the Green light.  Just have to go back sometime the end of next week to pick it up.

Playing the packing game -- fitting everything in one 50 lb bag per person, and a carry on.  Joel and Kendall's list: 4 pants (3 jeans, 1 chino), 3 shorts, 10 shirts (long, short, at least one button down and one polo), PJs, bathing suit, 8 boxers, 3 undershirts, belt, 2 pairs of shoes, 8 pairs of socks, 2 sweatshirts, 1 light rain jacket, winter coat.    Joel was the first to pack... he came in at 33 lbs.   Plenty of room left for the medicine, toiletries, and Mom's extras!
And now I have to make sense of my things... luckily I have 10 days more to decide what goes in the bag :)

So  in writing this blog entry I have learned how to upload pictures from my phone, access the blog and  write from both the laptop and the phone... so if I can take it to the next step and post it for you all to be able to read... then I should be set.   And ready to teach the boys how to use blogger, as this is the Family Blog, not Mom's blog!

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading all about your trip! Have fun! Love, c

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the crazy packing lists for Guatemala what with all the baby stuff we'd need for the return trip. Thank goodness it was before so many luggage restrictions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Mom's shoes can go in everyone else's bags! I say leave the umbrella and buy one there...

    ReplyDelete